Apr 6, 2007

Quick Trick: Tap Your Timing !

The title of this post might be a little misleading. I'm not talking about tapping your foot whilst you animate, rather a quick and intuitive way to adjust your timing between keyframes as you work ( in Maya ). I setup this little trick a few years ago and I can't live without it now...

I created two hotkeys that enable me to alter the duration between keyframes in the timeSlider. So say I had an action that hit a pose on frame 17, I can use these hotkeys to change my timing one frame at a time, so I can see how it feels when it hits on frame 15, 20, 23 or whatever really quickly and easily ( without having to select keys, slide things around in the dope sheet, or move keys around in the graph editor ).

here are the hotkey commands:
  • // add a frame ( I have this assigned to the + key )

    timeSliderEditKeys addInbetween;
  • // remove a frame ( I have this assigned to the - key )

    timeSliderEditKeys removeInbetween;


The image below explains how to use this idea:

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh waw!! That's an excellent Hotkey! Thanks a lot for sharing that Cam!

Smith said...

Once again, you have saved me loads of time, pain and heart-ache. I had no idea this feature was in there. SOOOO much better than any method for adjusting timing that I've come up with! Thanks!

Rajesh Gupta said...

Wow! Great help to save our time.

Amrit Derhgawen said...

Thanks a lot for sharing these, Cam! Really handy. Cheers!

-A

Anonymous said...

you´re the man, thanks a lot for this.

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad i came across this blog
such helpful information you provide!
thank you so much

Anonymous said...

this sounds like and awesome tip!!! but i keep getting this:

"Error: this command needs at least 1 argument(s) to be specified or selected: found 0"

i have all the controls of the character selected and my cursor is in the middle of two key poses :S probably i am doing something wrong since i am soo new to maya.. i am a 3dsmax guy ;P

thanx!!!

Lone Rider said...

hey....thanks 4 sharing this...glad i stumble across this blog.

Josh Bowman said...

Hi Anon :)

I've found that I need to open the graph editor whenever that happens, for some reason after I've done that it all works fine

Samuel Peter said...

this is brilliant, thank you!

anthony mcgrath said...

great trick! Thanks for sharing! :)

Armando said...

After all these years using Maya, I have to say, this has to be one of the most useful things I have learned. Better now than never. Thanks!

Michael Mahy said...

This is amazing. After a full year of Maya it just keeps surprising me! Thank you for this handy trick.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never knew! I set this up right away, and I can already tell this will be a big time saver.

Vishakh said...

Oh. That is one useful hotkey. Instant favorite. Saves a lot of time.

Thanks :)

Ufukkiblat said...

FINALLYY....

BIG THANKS